I have a number of loose ends to tie off on this site, and one of them is my set of articles for novice readers about the structure of matter, which when complete will introduce the basic particles out of which we and all of ordinary matter are made. A while ago I wrote an article about molecules; today I finished the next article, on atoms [Note added: A revised version is now ready; thanks to readers for helpful criticisms of the original]. Future articles will explore how atoms work in more detail, and the subatomic particles out of which they are made. As always, comments (especially on the clarity of the writing, as well as typos) are welcome.
First Time Visitor?This site addresses various aspects of science, with a current focus on particle physics. I aim to serve the public, including those with no background knowledge of physics. If you're not yourself an expert, you might want to click on "New? Start Here" or "About" to get started. If you'd like to watch my hour-long public lecture about the Higgs particle, try ``Movie Clips''.
- The Earth’s Shape and Size? You Can Measure it Yourself — Part 3
- The Earth’s Shape and Size? You Can Measure it Yourself — Part 2
- The Earth’s Shape and Size? You Can Measure it Yourself — Part 1
- Geometry From Within: Evidence for a Round Earth
- Mapping the Unknown, Times Three
- Is Someone Making Artificial Earthquakes under La Palma?
- Physics is Broken!!!
- Has a New Force of Nature Been Discovered?