A while ago I was writing a sequence of articles — interrupted for some weeks by all the hullabaloo over Higgs particles and all the noise about neutrinos — concerning the possibility that the world has more than the three spatial dimensions that are obvious to us. These “extra” dimensions seem to be very confusing to non-experts, so I’ve been trying to find a way to make them seem a little less strange. We’ll see if I’ve succeeded. Building on my articles describing some types of worlds of 1 spatial dimension and of 2 spatial dimensions, I’ve now written an article giving one type of example of an “extra” dimension. Other articles to follow over coming weeks will provide other examples of extra dimensions, as well as an attempt to explain how scientists can potentially look for evidence of an extra dimension.
First Time Visitor?This site addresses various aspects of science, with a current focus on particle physics. I aim to serve the public, including those with no background knowledge of physics. If you're not yourself an expert, you might want to click on "New? Start Here" or "About" to get started. If you'd like to watch my hour-long public lecture about the Higgs particle, try ``Movie Clips''.
- Earth Orbits the Sun, or Not? Why Coordinates Can’t Be Relevant to the Question.
- Earth Around the Sun, or Not? The Earth-Centered Coordinates You Should Worry About
- In Our Galaxy’s Center, a Tiny Monster
- Black Hole Announcement Expected Thursday
- Third step in the Triplet Model is up.
- Is it Meaningful to Say that Earth Goes Round the Sun, or Not? (And Why Is This So Hard…?)
- Sun Around the Earth, or Earth Around the Sun? Did Einstein Say “It’s all the same”?
- Triplet Model: Second Webpage Complete