I’m hoping to focus this week on updating and improving some of the background articles on the website, rather than updating the latest news (unless something really crucial happens.) I’ve just put up an improved version of my article on one of the most important aspects of the physics of the Large Hadron Collider, and indeed of any modern high-energy particle collider: jets, the experimental manifestation of high-energy quarks, anti-quarks, and gluons. The article, which explains why a high-energy quark created in a particle collision is measured as a spray (or “jet”) of hadrons, now has figures and an accompanying text that should make it much clearer. Comments welcome, as always.
First Time Visitor?This site addresses various aspects of science, with a current focus on particle physics. I aim to serve the public, including those with no background knowledge of physics. If you're not yourself an expert, you might want to click on "New? Start Here" or "About" to get started. If you'd like to watch my hour-long public lecture about the Higgs particle, try ``Movie Clips''.
- The Earth’s Shape and Size? You Can Measure it Yourself — Part 3
- The Earth’s Shape and Size? You Can Measure it Yourself — Part 2
- The Earth’s Shape and Size? You Can Measure it Yourself — Part 1
- Geometry From Within: Evidence for a Round Earth
- Mapping the Unknown, Times Three
- Is Someone Making Artificial Earthquakes under La Palma?
- Physics is Broken!!!
- Has a New Force of Nature Been Discovered?